Re: How to handle properties file

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: How to handle properties file
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:31:28 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:24 +0200, Nicolas Geoffray wrote:
> If I'm asking, it's because i'm afraid as a
> vm implementor to make some code that will read a jar file (like
> glibj.zip) and do things like looking for *.properties files from it.

I am afraid I have some bad news in that case. sorry.
If you want to support our glibj.zip approach then you will need to
provide that functionality. VMClassLoader (see vm/reference) depends on
the runtime to provide a loadClass() method that reads the glibj.zip
file to find the actual class (of provide the classes for the bootstrap
classloader in some other way). There is also the
VMClassLoader.getResource() and getResource() methods that finds
bootstrap classloader resources. we currently provide a default
implementation that uses java.util.zip for reading the glibj.zip file,
but that is neither efficient (opens a new ZipFile each time) not
completely safe (since reading zip files can trigger Date/Calendar
calculations which need additional resources, which can get into endless
recursion).

Maybe we could actually provide the native glibj.zip file reading
functionality completely in our vm reference code through zlib. That
might not be such a bad idea since almost every runtime will need zlib
to load the bootstrap classes and resources. The only trick is to make
it flexible enough to be integrated into the various ways runtimes load
classes.

Archie, I believe you said you had such code for JCVM and that you would
consider donating that to GNU Classpath for use with other runtimes. If
you have and want to could you send that code to the (patches) list?
Do other runtime implementers think they would adopt such shared
bootstrap class loading code, or is that something that is too wired
into the actual runtime to be easy to share in a generic way?

Cheers,

Mark