Re: How to handle properties file

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: How to handle properties file
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:45:23 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Maybe we could actually provide the native glibj.zip file reading
functionality completely in our vm reference code through zlib. That
might not be such a bad idea since almost every runtime will need zlib
to load the bootstrap classes and resources. The only trick is to make
it flexible enough to be integrated into the various ways runtimes load
classes.

Archie, I believe you said you had such code for JCVM and that you would
consider donating that to GNU Classpath for use with other runtimes. If
you have and want to could you send that code to the (patches) list?
Do other runtime implementers think they would adopt such shared
bootstrap class loading code, or is that something that is too wired
into the actual runtime to be easy to share in a generic way?

The ZIP file reader in JC is welcome to anyone to use. It's fairly
well self-contained in one file (zip.c) plus structure and macro
definitions in structures.h and definitions.h. I believe SableVM
is already using it. I'll happy re-license and/or donate to Classpath.

However, it doesn't seem appropriate for it to go into Classpath,
or at least I'm not sure I understand how it would work exactly,
since there is the obvious bootstrap problem with Java binding.

The relevant files for perusal...

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jcvm/jcvm/libjc/zip.c
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jcvm/jcvm/libjc/definitions.h
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jcvm/jcvm/libjc/structures.h