Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:48:37 +0200

Hi Trevor,

> I did a JPEG Encoder/Decoder (w/o progressive JPEG support or
> arithmetic encoding) for a CS class at the University of Utah, i was
> wondering if i could contribute it to your project in whatever license
> you'd like. I have no use for it anymore.

This sounds like it could be useful to us indeed. Our (or at least my)
short-term plan here was to have an imageio plugin wrapping libjpeg, and
in the long-term complement that with a pure-java plugin.

This could be quite useful as a start with the latter! So yes please. :)

We'll need to assign the code to the FSF as with all Classpath code.
(This doesn't mean giving up any rights though, since the FSF gives a
full grant-back or rights, so you can still distribute it under your own
license later if you want to.)

Also, we've got a clean-room requirement. I assume haven't looked at any
proprietary JPEG encoders/decoders?

(If you did this for class, that'd be cheating though, wouldn't it? :))

Looking at the libjpeg/Independent JPEG Group code is fine though.

/Sven