Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution

From: Trevor Linton
Subject: Re: JPEG Encoder Class Contribution
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:09:03 -0600

Hi Sven,

That's great, i'll need to clean up the code a bit and i'll send it over at the start of next week. I did not look at any other JPEG encoder/decoder. The class was studying lossy/lossless compression methods so everything we did in incremental steps in the class. All of the code in there is based off of the ITU-T81 spec at http://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/itu-t81.pdf

It will need some modification to fit into the imageio toolkit, the codec doesn't currently support the idea of an image observer, it just unencodes completely, blocking until its finished.

I also have PNG encoder/decoder and a PSD encoder/decoder (however it doesnt read in layers, just the image flattened) if you're interested in that as well.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks Sven,
Trevor

Sven de Marothy wrote:

Hi Trevor,

I did a JPEG Encoder/Decoder (w/o progressive JPEG support or
arithmetic encoding) for a CS class at the University of Utah, i was
wondering if i could contribute it to your project in whatever license
you'd like. I have no use for it anymore.

This sounds like it could be useful to us indeed. Our (or at least my)
short-term plan here was to have an imageio plugin wrapping libjpeg, and
in the long-term complement that with a pure-java plugin.

This could be quite useful as a start with the latter! So yes please. :)

We'll need to assign the code to the FSF as with all Classpath code.
(This doesn't mean giving up any rights though, since the FSF gives a
full grant-back or rights, so you can still distribute it under your own
license later if you want to.)

Also, we've got a clean-room requirement. I assume haven't looked at any
proprietary JPEG encoders/decoders?
(If you did this for class, that'd be cheating though, wouldn't it? :))

Looking at the libjpeg/Independent JPEG Group code is fine though.

/Sven