coreutils

Re: Proposition: move some of the tests from misc/ to specific directori

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Proposition: move some of the tests from misc/ to specific directories
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 01:14:32 +0100

On 14/06/2023 21:37, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
Hello,

I would like to get the opinion of this list on some tests paths changes.

Currently, many tests are located in the misc/ directory. For about 39
of the binaries, there are more than one test.
I propose that for these binaries, we should move these tests into their
own specific directories.

For example, tests/misc/tty-eof.pl and tests/misc/tty.sh into tests/tty/

This change would help us more easily identify which tests need to be
run for each program.

I have already prepared the patches needed for this change. As an
example, I've attached the first one in the stack.

I think this is better in the long run.
Over time we've been moving from larger perl scripts
to individual shell scripts for tests, as the latter
are more representative of how the coreutils are usually used.

If you send the patches to me, I'll squash and merge.

caveats to note are that some scripts do test multiple utils.
You can key off print_ver_ to identify utils being tested,
which shows the current distribution like:

$ git grep -h  '^print_ver_ .*' | sort | cut -d ' ' -f2- | uniq -c | sort -n
      1 arch
      1 chcon cp ls mv stat
      1 chgrp chmod chown
      1 chroot