Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Problems building .debs from latest CVS

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Problems building .debs from latest CVS
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:59:10 +0200

girardot (2002-05-26 20:43:54 -0400) :
[...]
> Eventually I changed /etc/apt/source.list to also include:
> deb-src ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib
> non-free
>
> and then things seemed to work fine, I just don't know if that was
> the right way to fix the problem

  It's one right way.  Another would be to ignore that build-dep step
and install the missing packages when debuild complains.

> or if I had some sort of other config problem that was preventing it
> from working, like my CVS checkout in the wrong spot or something?

  That shouldn't have any influence.

> I ended up with .debs that are named like
> sourceforge-common_2.6-0+11+_all.deb is that right for the new split
> package?

  Yes, perfectly right.

> The next step is:
>
> debuild -us -uc
>
> but I got an error that the command debuild did not exist.

  As Soon-Son Kwon already replied, debuild is in the devscripts
package.  Just install it, and you should be fine.

> I don't really know what the 'apt-get build-dep sourceforge' command
> was doing, but it seemed like it was getting some debian packages in
> preperation for building the .deb files.

  Exactly.  Some packages are needed to build the sourceforge
packages.  For an analogy, a C program would build-depend on gcc.

> In this case the devscripts debian package was needed because it
> supplies the debuild command but it wasn't installed on my system. I
> was thinking that maybe the 'build-dep sourceforge' command should
> also get and install devscripts.

  Um.  No, since there are other ways of building packages that do not
require debuild.  debuild is just a helper script.

> I don't know if either one of these counts as a bug, but I'll be
> glad to put them in the bug tracker if that is a better place for
> them.

  They are not exactly bugs, in fact.

> However I am now having trouble with 'dpkg -i
> sourceforge-common_2.6-0+11+_all.deb' so I wanted to check and see
> if maybe something I did in this stage was the cause of it. I'll
> send that problem as a seperate mail, but does the above sound
> acceptable for making the debs from cvs source?

  Yes.  I answered the other mail too.

> What parts will I have to redo when to test the next version when
> you do another commit?

  Just a 'cvs update' in the directory where you did your checkout,
and then 'debuild -uc -us' again.

> Thank you to the developers for all the hard work on this package.

  You're welcome.  Thanks for the testing and feedback :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life -- Solid Jackson, in Jingo (Terry Pratchett)