demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] [Richard Jones] Re: [Caml-list] OCaML, GUI, rapid prototypi

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] [Richard Jones] Re: [Caml-list] OCaML, GUI, rapid prototyping
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:21:21 +0200

Seen on caml-list: somebody else building a GUI in Caml that works on
both Unix and Windows. Could give us useful pointers.

Yours,
d.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaML, GUI, rapid prototyping Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:36:14 +0100 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.4i
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:15:47PM +0200, Valery A.Khamenya wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   I'd like to collect the state-of-art (see P.S.) info on
>   GUI-applications created in OCaml. My motivation is to summarize
>   what kind of GUI might be created by programmers who decide to stay
>   with OCaml. In other words I have the following questions:
>
>   Q1. How advanced might be the GUI in OCaml applications?
>
>   Q2. What are the GUI engines (gtk/fltk/qt/.../?) supported today for
>       OCaml?

We're using Gtk (lablgtk2) to write a medium-sized simulation
application that works across Windows and Linux. We're using the
Gtk-Wimp theme on Windows which gives Gtk a reasonable Windows look
and feel. It's not perfect, but not bad.

Gtk is a very rich and powerful widget set, and we've written custom
widgets (graphs, flow diagrams, dialogs, etc.), all in straight OCaml.

Lablgtk is (to be honest) a bit odd, but once you get used to it,
there'll be almost nothing you can't do that you couldn't do with any
other language or widget set. Most things work identically on Windows
and Unix, so much so that I don't spend much time testing on each
platform separately. There are a few annoying differences in fonts
which I had to wrap into a little library.

We're using OCam'OLE (on Windows) to communicate with Excel -- load
files, run macros, that sort of thing.

We're using NullSoft's NSIS to generate the installer (on Windows).

>   Q3. What kind of development framework are available in spirit of
>       Delphi/Kylix/Glade?

Emacs! You need something else??

Rich.

PS. The lablgtk mailing list is down now?

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.