demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Web Client Interface [status]

From: Lyu Abe
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Web Client Interface [status]
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:33:33 +0900

Hi David,

No, you should not do that. Because this approach is aimed to failure:
you can't know all the variations of web browsers and how they'll
handle your page.

You should stick to standard HTML and CSS and then use the known
tricks to make it work in IE6.

(for example for blind people, I guess the tables I am using are
irrelevant, so that another text page layout would be needed)

You'd better use CSS element positioning instead of table.

Are you referring to DIVs? I also suppose that you think that using DIVs
will allow to order (e.g. question) informations in a given order, which
is not necessarily corresponding to the location of these elements on
the generated page.

But from what I experimented with DIVs, I think there is nothing (or
very few) to gain in using DIVs instead of tables: for example, if we
want to use the layout I am currently working on, I think this can be
done with DIVs only by embedding them one into each other. In that case
we must use a certain DIVs hierarchy which will finally be equivalent to
using TABLEs... but maybe I'm wrong, because it's true I'm not very easy
with DIVs. On that point I'd like to have some help if someone can.

Of course, *you* are coding so you have the last word. ;-)

Yes, but I'll do my best to use what people think is the most easy to
use, modify or upgrade.

        Regards, Lyu