denemo-devel

Re: Starting playback in the middle of a movement

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Starting playback in the middle of a movement
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 11:27:51 +0000

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 11:34 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I get these two messages immediately when clicking playback start.
> > The
> > sound starts considerably later.

> > > Are you using JACK or Alsa?
> >
> > I am using JACK.
>
> Mmm, that's something that I have even less experience with - does it
> allow you to ask for messages to indicate when it does things - when
> it
> gets input? Did you upgrade to the latest Debian Stable? I haven't
> done
> that yet, which could account for the difference we are seeing.
> This is contingent on the old versions of Denemo showing the same
> behaviour (see below).

When writing that reply I was not thinking clearly enough: if you are
getting a long delay when starting in the middle of a movement and *not
*at the end then it must be that Denemo is doing something during that
delay. What might work is to run it under the debugger and use Control-
C to interrupt it during the long pause and then the command "where" to
find out which function it is in at the time (then "continue" and
interrupt it again). Doing this a few times may show up some loop in
the Denemo code (there will be more sophisticated ways of doing this
I'm sure but this may do ...)

Richard