Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Output files in the VITA 49 format

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Output files in the VITA 49 format
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:04:34 +0000

Hi Sara,

stock GNU Radio indeed doesn't include any VITA49 I/O capabilities.

I'm not aware of any GNU Radio out-of-tree module that you could use to
gain that.

I know that Josh Blum wrote a VITA49 serializer for GREX, but that's
not compatible with GNU Radio. It might serve you as inspiration for
writing your own block, however:

Since you only need to write very basic VITA49 packets, writing such a
block should be no big deal – Josh simply pieces together the binary
header manually in his grex/network/serializer.cpp; I find that
aesthetically unpleasing, to be honest. (I hope Josh doesn't mind me
saying that.)

However, Eric Blossom, former GNU Radio maintainer of lore, has written
https://github.com/eblossom/vita-49, which should be an easy to use C++
library. But really, a C struct with bit alignment specifiers would
probably do for your limited use case. Upstream contributions more than
welcome!

Best regards,
Marcus M