discuss-gnustep

Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:31:14 +0100

Hi,

On 11/24/19 2:24 AM, Yavor Doganov wrote:
I don't know why Debian is important, but they cannot be made
available as an option.  It would mean duplicate packages with
different names -- the release team will not allow it and the
ftpmasters will not allow it.

I can tell for my experience why Debian is important: it has been my first serious Linux distribution after coming from NetBSD. It was the only distribution which support(ed) 68k!

Also, it is still important now because it is the base for Ubuntu, a very popular distribution which often carries on things from Debian "as is". Raspbian is also debian based. So, supporting Debian well, helps a big part of the FOSS community.

While I still use Debian on PowerPC, I now switched to Devuan on amd64 and x86 for a reason you can imagine ad a very unfortunate Debian decision, but I still feel "at home" like on older Debian.

You probably weren't around when we (GNUstep people in Debian) had to
scrap and fight to prevent it from being removed.  GNUstep in Debian
back then was undermaintained and violated the FHS, it was also full
of bugs (that is, obvious bugs such as frequent failures to build from
source) and blatant bugs solely due to packaging.  Hubert wrote a tool
to FHS-ify most of the packages, we fixed most bugs and we had a
helping hand from the Debian GCC maintainers who said it would be very
worthwile to keep GNUstep in Debian, at least as a testing ground for
GCC.

Although I never liked that FHS imposition, I think too it was very worthwhile!

Also, it meant packagers and users: I got bug reports and patches which contributed in making upstream software better.

And that's what it's been, more or less; GNUstep had a rapid decline
in the user base some years ago and it appears it is not going to
recover.  All the Clangs in the world are not going to help you with
that.  But in your quest for popularity you may lose some of the solid
foundations that are still keeping this project afloat.

I agree on that, although I don't know how hoe accurate those statistics are (since popcon never worked for me in 10 years!). Most persons will install GNUstep on Debian for its applications and we know that it is not very appealing since a long time. Although "now" you could argue that there is no development due to lack of clang, it would be a fallacy: the reasons are much older and deeper than that!

Riccardo