discuss-gnustep

Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 11:27:06 +0100

Hi,

On 11/26/19 4:48 PM, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

How about a compromise? How hard would it be for GCC to drop the GCC runtime in favor of GNUstep runtime, and implement everything except ARC and blocks (these seem to be the biggest road blocks)? While ARC and blocks are important for many developers, GNUstep itself is not directly dependent on the compiler supporting these features. Ideally, we could get to a situation where GCC and Clang compiled binaries can interoperate. Or am I way off?

for a while, I used the "new" runtime with GCC (and built with GCC of course) but somewhen it stopped to be possible. I tried some work with David, but eventually gave up.

Riccardo