discuss-gnustep

Re: GNUstep runtime errors

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: GNUstep runtime errors
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:05:01 +0200

I see you are trying on Debian 12.

Things to remember on Debian if you use llvm and ARC.

1. you must use the new runtime libobjc2

2. always use the gold linker and not the default "ld.bfd" linker or you will end up compiling but not working

easiest way to change this is by changing the symlink /usr/bin/ld to point to ld.gold (which is a symlink to x86_64-linux-gnu-ld.gold)

3. Choose carefully which clang version you use.  Prior to release 8 there where issues. On Debian 11 there where issues with too new versions. On Debian 12, the standard clang 14.0.6 works fine for me.

here is how I build on Debian 12 and it works consistently.

https://github.com/andreasfink/ulib/blob/master/doc/README-Debian12-bookworm.txt

Note: I do not use the old runtime or gcc ever for GNUStep as my code all mandatory requires ARC. So libobjc2 and clang/llvm is the only way which I can get anything done.