[DotGNU]A matter of immediate attention

From: David Sugar
Subject: [DotGNU]A matter of immediate attention
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 20:15:47 -0400

Toni and I had the oppertunity to meet with the FSF VP. I wish there had been more time to talk about this with everyone here in advance, but unfortunately, between the Libre meeting, and the limited availability of terminals, it has been hard to keep everyone up to date. In fact, generally I have had a 24-30 hour turn-around on any email the last few days...

The conclusion that was reached is that DotGNU will be, perhaps in a press release on Monday, as one of two FSF endorsed projects that the free software community will undertake in response to .net. DotGNU certainly can (and if everyone here wishes it to, will) become a (series of) GNU packages and my own feeling is that the right thing to do is to have project development hosted on savannah. The FSF has also expressed, as I noted in an earlier message, a willingness to directly help with this project.

Since a certain very sudden and deliberate situation with the other project required some response and action to be taken by this weekend, and the time window for discussion and response was much shorter than the oppertunity to discuss this here on the list had allowed, I did choose to discuss this with the FSF on behalf of DotGNU. I hope I have not offended anyone by doing so.

David