Re: [DotGNU]A matter of immediate attention

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A matter of immediate attention
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 06:11:23 -0400

What I can say is that there was some kind of press announcement/leak/story a few days ago on CNET. If you goto Linux Today and search for "mono", you will find it. I cannot comment beyond that. I recall this story had already been mentioned on FD's mailing list.

David

fitzix wrote:

David Sugar wrote:

Toni and I had the oppertunity to meet with the FSF VP.  I wish there had been
more time to talk about this with everyone here in advance, but unfortunately,
between the Libre meeting, and the limited availability of terminals, it has
been hard to keep everyone up to date.  In fact, generally I have had a 24-30
hour turn-around on any email the last few days...

The conclusion that was reached is that DotGNU will be, perhaps in a press
release on Monday, as one of two FSF endorsed projects that the free software
community will undertake in response to .net.  DotGNU certainly can (and if
everyone here wishes it to, will) become a (series of) GNU packages and my own
feeling is that the right thing to do is to have project development hosted on
savannah.  The FSF has also expressed, as I noted in an earlier message, a
willingness to directly help with this project.

Since a certain very sudden and deliberate situation with the other project
required some response and action to be taken by this weekend, and the time
window for discussion and response was much shorter than the oppertunity to
discuss this here on the list had allowed, I did choose to discuss this with
the FSF on behalf of DotGNU.  I hope I have not offended anyone by doing so.

David

Wow, if I may ask - what happened with the other project?

(Obviously, if you can't say - I'll understand)

Another question:  What is the scope of the other project?  Does it
overlap with us at all?

Just curious :)