Re: [DotGNU]Paranoid

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Paranoid
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 21:23:59 -0500

Myrddian wrote:

> > Personally I am paranoid about Ximian, they might be doing a
> > .NET implementation, which is not something we are after.
> >

> > > I think we should not add this, because we should not look as
> > > disorganized as
> > > we might actually be.  Maybe start by declaring this a summary of the
> > > vision
> > > and activity in DotGNU to date instead, and lets be as positive about
> > > what we
> > > are doing as we can be.  Also, will the name officially be presented as
> > > "DotGNU" or ".gnu"??
> >
>  I thought it should DotGNU, an abriviation could be .GNU, well
>  that's my opinion any how, not that it matters any more

Indulge me in a little paranoia.

Let's look at Microsoft's motives for choosing .Net? To make the second
most utilized domain name on the Internet more valuable. Know it. Expect
it. If Microsoft becomes popular people like me with names in the .net
TLD will suddenly find ourselves the focus of lawsuits by trademark
holders wishing to claim their .net for their own use. So, either we
need someone to front a .gnu TLD (not a bad idea) or choose an existing
TLD for the project.

Personally "DotGNU" not .GNU, the latter makes hash of some sentence
structures.

The above can be taken as serious or not depending on how you're mixing
your drinks.

John Le'Brecage