Re: [DotGNU]Market research

From: Myrddian
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Market research
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:34:44 +1000

> Well, let's define "test platform"...
>
> First of all, the authentication system server is key - this one's easy
> because our test platform here would be various GNU/Linux servers.  I'm
> loath to doing a windows port of this because of security and license
> implications.

A windows port is going to be done, but at this stage but I dont think anybody
here wants to.

> But, for the authentication system to work, there's going to have to be
> an authentication client.  This is the tough part.  As long as the
> information was to be kept on the auth server, we could have
> (potentially) replaced any client with a web interface or another type
> of low level client which simply contacted the auth server.  However, I
> think that we all agree that this type of structure is a Bad Thing and
> that we would prefer the user to have more control over the
> authentication process...

Well in theory the application could do the authentication, well at least
ask the user for authenticatio. However is the user is asked to type
in info on a web page uhmm I dont know I am not too certain.

What I was thinking is that a person uses Software A. This software then
can connect to Server A. For Authentication with the info the user has provided
all the server will say is nay, or yay. An app or client end user interface
should not be able to retreive any more info.

I could be wrong.

Myrddian <address@hidden(nospam)au>
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
 and four people died".

                   -- Steven Wright