[DotGNU]Jabber identity/authorization framework

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Jabber identity/authorization framework
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:16:47 +0200

Adam Theo <address@hidden> wrote:

> i can't help but pop here. I and a few fellow jabber developers (more on
> jabber later) have been working on an identity/authorization framework
> for the past few months

Via Adam's website I have found this document by Michael Hearn:
http://jab.sirlabs.com/bin/view/JIGs/JIS/HailstormCompetitorDoc

To Michael Hearn:  Perhaps you would be interested in joining the
DotGNU project?  (See http://dotgnu.org for some info)

To Adam Theo:  Please tell us more about what you've learned in this
project.  For example, what works well, what are things that you wish
had been designed differently, etc.  I'm getting the impression that
while it may probably not be wise for the DotGNU project to directly
use your Jabber identity/authorization framework, we can certainly
learn from the lessons you have learned.

> thing you may be concerned about is it does use the Jabber communication
> system, which i am willing to bet most of you have not heard of

Yes, this is something that I'm concerned about, for several reasons:

- I see from the "Jabber As Middleware" page http://jabber.org/?oid=532
  that the Jabber communication system (at least currently) does not
  seem to be designed to be reliable enough for what we need in the
  DotGNU project.

- Jabber has a client/server architecture.  It is important to avoid
  that in the identity/authorization framework of the DotGNU project.

- Licensing.  As far as possible, all components of the DotGNU system
  should use the GNU GPL.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com