Re: [DotGNU]What IS .NET, really?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What IS .NET, really?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:32:43 +0200

I wrote:

> : DotGNU is about preventing .NET from ever really happening by
> : creating something that meets the needs of end-users and
> : e-commerce businesses better than .NET while at the
> : same time avoiding the ethical problems of Microsoft's
> : approach.
>
> :Greetings, Norbert.
>

> That sounds good.
>
> What 'needs' are you reffering to?  Other than authintication?

Here is a real life example:  I run a mailing list hosting
business.  I can make mission-critical lists extra reliable by
replicating them across two servers, with different OS, on
different network segments, in different states of the US, with
bandwidth from different telcos.

With the set-up described above, chances are that the
two servers won't go down at the same time.  One of the servers
holds the master subscriber database, one of them holds a mirror
of the subscriber database.  If the server with the master
subscriber database is down, the list still works (it can still
forward mail, because that requires only read access to the
subscriber database), but people cannot sub or unsub.

If I allow both servers to handle subs and unsubs, then there
needs to be a system for getting the subscriber databases in
sync.  There are many aspects of the problem "getting a
replicated database back in sync" that are totally independant
of the fact that I'm talking about mailing list subscriptions.
The same kind of problems happens with a web-based
authentication system where the data is replicated (or reasons
of reliability) across multiple servers.  That's why I'm
proposing that functionality for journalling and, when necessary,
rollback of database transactions should be built into the DotGNU
system.

I don't think .NET is going to give me this functionality I
need.  I'd have to use DotGNU even if I were a fan of Microsoft!

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com