Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]What IS .NET, really?

From: Kent Nguyen
Subject: Fwd: Re: [DotGNU]What IS .NET, really?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:59:19 +0000

.NET consists of two parts:  component model and communication protocol.

There component model is based on COM.  The communication protocol is based
on SOAP.  .NET is what they sell in their Visual Studio.  This is part of the
money making as they will tie the .NET into their passport system.

.NET and the passport system is called Hailstorm.  Hailstorm can be referred
to mega services.  What Microsoft envision for Hailstorm is that everyone
will use a passport.  This passport system is very important for them to
create a two way revenue stream, like you see with Visa.

The probably won't charge for passport now.  They will wait for the dot com
shakedown to cool off, and start ramping up other services where they can tie
end-users and service providers to.  For instance, right now end-users are
tied to their email address, this what gives them their identity on the
Internet.  People will be willing to paid a small amount to retain an
identity they hold for so long.  (I don't think most people will give up
their hotmail account overnight.)  For service providers, all they care about
is the number of users who have access to their services.  When Microsoft
have hold of end-users, service providers will follow suit.

I have a brief explanation about it here:
http://www.mslinux.com/research/commerce.html

--kent