Re: [DotGNU]Anonymous buying

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Anonymous buying
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:02:33 -0400

Myrddian wrote:

> Errr.... not a very good example... please dont do this again
>
> Anomynity.... errr....
>
> It could be good but...... Should be a service you could use...
>
> Another Server Proxies for you in anomynity.....
>
> If you plan to use a service which requires a charge.. its now dificult to
> say....
> You could be anonymous to the retailer/bidder/what ever   but not  to the
> server
> who may charge you or your customer.... so uhm
>
> Blah I dont think I am making my self clear today.

Actually, I think that you answered the scenario correctly.

First of all, a bank would most likely have to be involved, or some
other financial institution would have to be involved so - how can we
protect the anonymity of this person under these circumstances?

Second, the target server holds the info anyway, so that's where the
major privacy leak is.

Third, if you're a chinese spy, why are you buying/selling secret docs
over a consumer information swapping system on the web in the first
place???

However, to answer your question - with the tokens scheme
(http://www.dotgnu.org/spec/tokens.htm), you could control what
information the person specifically got.  However, seeing as this is
with a financial institution - good luck staying anonymous.

Btw, please try to frame your examples better.  We don't want the FBI
attacking dotGNU for harboring spies or anything.  Carnivore tends to
pick up on stuff like this.

        -Barry