Re: [DotGNU]DCMA devils

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DCMA devils
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:08:54 -0400

Ron Burk wrote:

> >   If Microsoft execs don't like something in the DMCA,
> >is there something that we can use in the DMCA to shield ourselves from
> >potential Microsoft attacks?
>
> My twisted little mind has thought: "What if this simple single
> logon standard spreads very quickly among web site designers,
> and what if dotGNU were to claim IP in it, and grant rights
> to all but Microsoft-controlled companies, to keep Passport
> from being able to easily get at the customer data formed
> behind this standard (and from being able to "embrace
> and extend" it).
>
> In olden days, it was not possible to keep someone
> from perverting your idea unless you patented it.
> With the DCMA, I no longer have any idea what-all
> legal rights a copyright grants (and many things in
> this area have not been tested in court).
> Ron Burk
> HighTechInfo.com, www.hightechinfo.com

Precisely, although I'm not sure that turning this around on Microsoft
like that would be ethically correct, nor do I think that it would work
to our advantage... However, there may be rights in the DMCA that could
create a legal shield around the project, keeping Microsoft out of
trying to shut us - or anyone affiliated with us - down.

        -Barry