Re: [DotGNU]Re: (Unmangled) Craig Mundie/Dave Stutz at O'Reilly confere

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: (Unmangled) Craig Mundie/Dave Stutz at O'Reilly conference (was:[DotGNU...
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:52:08 -0400

"Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)" wrote:

> btw, what makes you think they dont like the DMCA?
> Yes, Mundie said there were good things and bad things with it... but
> they DID lobby for it, and Mundie conviently didnt mention anything in
> specific that he didnt like. Mundie said "I am just like you, there are
> some things I dont like" and Tim O'Rielly said "well, there isnt much I
> like about it at all"
>
> Seek3r

Yeah, I realise that - it's just a gut sense.  Call it what you will.
Perhaps he was just playing to the crowd like he'd been for the rest of
the night.  I just got a funny feeling from it...  Frankly, I'd think
that if they did think that something would be used against them, they
wouldn't be saying exactly what it was in the middle of an OSS
conference.

Aside from that, copyleft uses established copyright law to create it's
power.  It's essentially using the system against those who would misuse
it.  Mundie's statements made me curious about whether or not the same
thing could be applied to the DMCA.  I still think we'd be better off
without the DMCA, but if there's a way that we could ethically use it to
defend ourselves, we should exploit it.

        -Barry