Re: [DotGNU]URIs

From: Matthias Rosenkranz
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]URIs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:49:55 +0200

Hi

First of all IANAUE (I am not a URI expert), but I've read the RFC
several times for the DotGNU RLS spec.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 11:04:08PM -0700, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Using the '#' operator to do this do NOT seem correct.
> (But note, like I said before, I am not an expert on URIs,
> so this may be correct... but I don't think it is.)
>
> From what I understand, the '#' operator is used to reference
> something with the `source'.  (And not used to perform an
> operation on the `source'.)

The relevant RFC is 2396 (Section 4.1 'Fragment Identifier'). '#'
delimits the so called 'Fragment' from the rest of the URI. The
fragment is interpreted by the requesting client based on the MIME
type. I think in your example:
>      http://www.whereever.dom/a/b/c/guess.php#gzip
the client would jump to the 'gzip' mark, because the MIME type is
text/html for instance. I've never used Nautilus, so I don't know what
it actually does.

> My question is, since DotGNU seems to be using URIs
> for alot of things, is there a general method for
> handling `sources', `sinks', and `functions' in the
> spec.  [I am asking for anyone on the list that knows
> alot about URIs to answer here.]  (The above
> mentioned hacks will not be acceptable.)

Take a look at the current spec for RLS (Resource Locator Strings):
http://www.dotgnu.org/spec/rls.htm . This is the proposed format of
DotGNU URIs.

        Matthias
--