Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU))
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:43:34 -0700

> > how about "DotGNU is a network orientated framework with an emphasis
> > on freedom and privacy. DotGNU is backwardly compatible with MS .NET"

I see no problem saying it this way, as long as we make it clear and
certain that DotGNU will be compatible with Microsoft.NET.  The GNU system
is compatible with Unix, but has enhancements that don't break
compatibility.  DotGNU should certainly do the same.

> Well, if you are already talking to people how look on Linux favorably,
> then I'd say something like:
>
>      DotGNU is to .NET, as Linux is to Windows.  If you like
>      Linux, then you will love DotGNU.

I don't see anything wrong with that, except that it should say
"GNU/Linux", since you are referring to the operating system, not just the
kernel.

Since DotGNU is officially a GNU program, public statements made about
DotGNU should follow the GNU policies.  Calling the Linux-based variant of
GNU "GNU/Linux" is one of those policies.

I realize that some of you on the developers list may not have seen the
policies.  I have included a brief summary of the major policies with this
message.  For a more detailed description, please read the GNU Maintainers
Guide (http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html).

Please let me know if you have questions about them.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942