Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:05:01 +0100

> This is not good.  String should be object type.  Try dealing with foreign
> characters.  Passing string by value type will run you into a lot of
> trouble that's not necessary.

Actually, having just checked,  and I was mistaken. Strings are reference
types in c#, they have just overloaded == so that equality testing for
strings works, unlike Java.

My point still stands. C# does not lock you down. As I am sure you agree,
passing by value is often a useful process, and we need a bytecode (IL?) that
supports this.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"