Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:21:02 -0400

Jeremy Petzold wrote:

> well, I would rather go with Mono then because Miguel
> de Icaza has been worried that we are competing in
> this area, I suspect we will end up going with Mono so
> we do not end up in that situation, however, to get a
> real pulse on that I suggest you ask Norbert Bollow as
> he has addressed Miguel's concerns in an e-mail.
>
> -Jeremy

We may be using Mono, but who said that competition is a bad thing?

If there are shortcomings in other models, then creating a fully new
model that can - potentially - encompass the other models is not a bad
thing at all.  It (obviously) means more work, but as long as the specs
are open and the implementations GNU GPL'ed, I don't see a conflict
here.  In fact, the GNU GPL is meant to keep PRECISELY this type of
situation possible.  If everyone chose to work on the same thing and it
was agreed that there'd be no competition, dare I say that we wouldn't
need the GPL in the end because the proprietary vendors would not have
to worry about keeping their source closed to leverage market share.
Yeah, that's a dramatic statement, and I'm probably wrong about the
reality of that situation (for obvious reasons) but it illustrates my
point.

However, if you're referring to this as a negative thing for logistic
and strategic purposes, that's slightly different.  But, if there's
benefit in a new format, I think we'd be foolish to rule it out at SOME
TIME in the future.

        -Barry