Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:22:43 +0200

Martin Coxall <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What ever decision is made about this, I would like to
> > say that we should not and can not exclude Java from
> > our platform,
>
> And in so doing, pollute our system with legal baggage and leave a free
> software project at the mercy of Sun's lawyers? I don't think it's worth the
> risk frankly, do you?

Martin,
  this sounds very much like anti-Java FUD to me.  Please be
specific.  What are the problems of the plan that has been
proposed?  How would it "pollute our system with legal baggage"?
(Nota bene, the proposal is to start with a free JVM
implementation)

By the way, please be aware that DotGNU is not identical with
the Mono project where (I believe) you're a member of the team
of developers.  Of course you're welcome to also contribute to
the DotGNU project if you want, but if you want to do this,
please try to be aware of the different goals of each project.
(I'm saying this because you have several times make "we should
do this" suggestions that make no sense from the persoective of
the goals of the DotGNU project, but where it would probably be
nice for the Mono project if you're able to find someone who
will do it for you.)

Greetings, Norbert.

P.S.  I am _not_ saying that the proposal to start with a free
JVM is necessarily the best way to go.  The choice of bytecode
strategy is is a crucial design decision for DotGNU and what I
want is that it is made after careful consideration of the major
options.  And we need the consider the options no only with
respect to their technical and legal merits, but also with
consideration of matters like
a) Pool of developers - what approach gives un access to access
   to a big pool of developers?
b) Coolness - what approach will allow doing things in a "cool"
   manner?
c) Psychology - DotGNU is at its core a "Stop Microsoft from
   taking over the Net" project.  Is it psychologically
   advisable to build it on a standard that comes from Microsoft?

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com