[DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:00:17 +0200

Martin Coxall <address@hidden> replied:

> My career is Java. I have no need to FUD.

Then please provide the requested specifics.

> What I am worried about is blindly allowing an implementation
> of a privately owned set of specifications forming the core of
> a very important free software project.

I can assure you that we're not planning to go about this
blindly.  We know that the choice of bytecode is a crucial
decision for the project, and the time has come to look at
the various reasonable options.  My current list of reasonable
options is this:

a) Johan Hanson's proposal

     Start with Java bytecode, the Java language and the Java libraries.

     Then, extend the bytecode and runtime environment to have
     features that are supported by Microsoft's bytecode.
     Design the modifications to the bytecode so that a recompiler from
     CLR bytecode to DotGNU bytecode would be as simple as possible.

     Start with Kaffee or some other existing Java implementation that
     is licensed under the GPL. (if any)

b) Use and extend Portable.NET

     Endorse IL and C#, extending them as necessary.  Use and
     contribute to Rhys Weatherley's efforts to write a good
     C# compiler and runtime system in C

     The website of Rhys Weatherley's Portable.NET project is
     at http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html

I would like to invite everyone to make suggestions for items
that maybe should be added to this list of "reasonable options".

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com