Re: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU)

From: tali streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:17:51 +1000

Adam Theo wrote:

Norbert Bollow wrote:

By equally supporting both C# and Java, DotGNU can become a home
both for those Java programmers who decide to migrate to C# and
also for those Java programmers who prefer to continue working
with Java.

hm, yes, i like this. i retract my previous suggestion of only
supporting Mono/IL, and now say we should support and work on both..
let's not bother with creating our own bytecode, at least any time soon.
let's just work on supporting all the existing ones.

... and when we do our own bytecode it should be a case of having IL -> bytecode and Java -> bytecode compilers and also bytecode -> native compilers.

then you can download the bytecode application and have it compile into a native executable that executes using direct system calls, hopefully providing the level of speed necessary. using a cache for these downloaded applications it would not be necessary to recompile it unless it changes at the server.

I would be nice not to favor one language over another. ideally visual basic developers would use DotGNU in preference to .NET, right?

I see DotGNU as being more flexible then .NET

-zenic