Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:49:30 +0100

>   this sounds very much like anti-Java FUD to me.  Please be
> specific.  What are the problems of the plan that has been
> proposed?  How would it "pollute our system with legal baggage"?
> (Nota bene, the proposal is to start with a free JVM
> implementation)

My career is Java. I have no need to FUD. What I am worried about is blindly
allowing an implementation of a privately owned set of specifications forming
the core of a very important free software project. This is dangerous, and
could potentially derail the project further along the line.

Secondly, I believe it is immoral. We have a duty I believe, to start from a
clean room implementation of an open standard. Java is not open, and probably
never will be.

Thirdly, we wish to provide a platform that is superior to .NET. Bearing that
in mind, I am hardly going to be happy about us building it on a platform
(Java) that I consider inferior to .NET on almost every level, am I?

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"