Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Support Java for .GNU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:00:17 +0100

> I am certainly no Java expert(can't write in it...yet :)  ) but I thought
> that I herd of a clean room implementation of it already. can anyone verify
> that?

You can have a clean(ish)-room implementation of a JVM (Kaffe) and Libraries
(GNU Classpath), but alas the bytecode specification, API specification and
the language specification are all "intellectual property" of Sun
Microsystems and encumbered by a bad licenses and foolish resistance to open
standardisation. Thus, Java would be an immoral and dangerous choice as the
base of dotGNU-arch.

BTW, I say this coming from the point of view of an experienced Java
developer, who know only too well the shortcomings of Java and Sun, and is
terrified that dotGNU plans to incorporate its flaws and legal baggage into
dotGNU. Please don't let that happen. Start with something open (Mono) or
Start Again From Scratch.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"