Re: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:32:28 +0200

> Bill White wrote:
> >
> > Is this likely to be a feature of DotGNU?  I don't see how the
> > dotgnu project can succeed if you require all your developers to
> > choose between contributing and being employed.

There's always the option of being self-employed, or starting a
self-corporation and employing yourself.

Barry Fitzgerald <address@hidden> replied:

> It's not the FSF's fault, it's a problem with our legal system...
> Because everyone's lawsuit-happy, measures have to be taken to protect
> all entities.  And, no offense to your employer, but the only reason
> that I can see that they wouldn't have signed those papers was due to
> copyright assignment and indemnification concerns.  In other words, they
> wanted to say "MINE!"... and that's a problem with our economic system
> and social structure.

I think the bigger concern for an employer might be that it
can negatively influence productivity in more company-related
areas, when employees think a lot about Free Software stuff.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com