Re: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:25:46 -0400

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 03:06:08PM -0400, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
> The employment issue is not an issue at all.  I'm employed - my employer
> doesn't control my life - nor would I let it.
>
> There's a problem with your assessment in the fact that you're assessing
> all of your work as an agent of your employer.  If you intend on working
> on DotGNU at work, then that's true.  If you work on it at home, you can
> choose to indemnify your employer by stating that you're not acting as
> an agent of your employer.  However, if your employer has jurisdiction
> over what you do at home, I strongly urge you to reconsider the fact
> that they have that power over you.
So if I only work on this separate from my employer's equipment,
facilities and time, you believe I am ok, and I can sign the
copyright waiver as myself.  I don't believe my employer has
jurisdiction over what I do when I am not working for them.
  o I own my own equipment,
  o I pay for my own telecommunication costs,
  o I own and manage my own domain and local area network (local to the
    5 computers below my desk).
  o I manage my own time away from my employer's facility.  In fact,
    my wife manages my time, but perhaps that's not relevant to this
    discussion.
--
Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
address@hidden                 Griggs Research Institute