Re: [DotGNU]What is the diff b/w pnetlib/System and pnetlib/runtime/Sy

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What is the diff b/w pnetlib/System and pnetlib/runtime/System ?
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:37:02 +1000

"Gopal.V" wrote:

>         I could not understand why the classes were found at those two
> places. I assumed that all Runtime classes (ECMA spec) resided in
> pnetlib/runtime/System directory.

ECMA defines classes for two assemblies: mscorlib and
System.  In pnetlib, these are split between the runtime
and System directories.  System.Net classes are in System.

pnetlib/runtime/System is "those classes that live in the
System namespace in the mscorlib assembly".

pnetlib/System is "those classes that live in the System
namespace in the System assembly".  I suppose that for
consistency's sake, it should probably be called
"pnetlib/System/System", but that seemed a bit too silly.

It does beg the question of where we need to put
"Platform" methods that are accessed by the System
assembly.  Right now, the only natives that I can see
are the Socket ones, and we can probably treat them
as a special case.

>         With Gerard Toonstra (chiraz) having submitted the IPAddress class
> as a Patch. I see this has caused a duplication of work already.

Yes, there is some duplication.  It's not necessarily bad,
if we can find some way to co-ordinate things.

>         If Rhys has no Objection, I'll maintain a list of Contributers
> with their current works. I'll put up an XML changelog file which
> will show each contributer and all the files.

This is fine with me.

I'm also thinking of designating "lead developers" in major
areas of the code, who's responsibility it will be to co-ordinate
things, taking some of the load off me to figure out whether
I should be applying a patch or not.

However, there is one procedure that I will put into place
immediately: if you are modifying someone else's code,
e-mail them directly and talk to them first.  Don't just
submit a patch.