Re: [DotGNU]Affero General Public License

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Affero General Public License
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:11:31 +0100

S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, this means that even those who don't own the data, but
> use the program, could get source code, provided that the "Get Source Code"
> button/command/whatever was still there.

Yes.  But can this be enforced?  What if someone removes the
feature, and then simply claims to have received to program
with the feature removed already?

> On a side note, the idea of a "Get Source Code" button/whatever in every GPL
> program, partially to enforce this, is quite intriguing.

I don't think that this can reasonably be made a requirement in
general, because when this applies to a big number of programs,
it will significantly increase disk space requirements.

Also, there is another practical problem, does the "Get Source
Code" button also give you all libraries that are necessary for
making use of that source code?

I think the DotGNU approach of "you can download all necessary
binaries, and then, if those programs are GPL'd you have rights
to get the source code, too" will work better in practice.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com