Re: [DotGNU]Affero General Public License

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Affero General Public License
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:54:38 -0600

Bill Lance wrote:
http://www.fsf.org/press/2002-03-19-Affero.html

What does this mean in practical terms?

<analysis creator="Stephen Compall" authority=0>

I don't think it is as stringent a requirement as the "owner of the data" requirement, in that if there is not a source-code-getting facility in the program, the distributor is not required to redistribute, while in DotGNU he/she does. However, this means that even those who don't own the data, but use the program, could get source code, provided that the "Get Source Code" button/command/whatever was still there.

On a side note, the idea of a "Get Source Code" button/whatever in every GPL program, partially to enforce this, is quite intriguing.

</analysis>

--
Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The Labs.
        -- Dennis Ritchie