Re: [DotGNU]My Introduction

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]My Introduction
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:47:29 +0530

Hi Daniel,

If memory serves me right, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> First the bad part:
> I am not a very experienced C programmer and I don't know C# at all.  I do
> nearly all of my programming in Perl.  Furthermore, I don't have very much
> time to offer to the project and my schedule is unpredictable.

        Not knowing C# is not a big limitation, but most of pnet's library work
consists of C# & corresponding C work. I think you might want to take a look
at pnet/engine/lib_*.c files for an idea of how to go about programming in
C.

        Also C# is not a very difficult language, I'm learning it peice
by peice. (but I was a java guy). Many people on this list are learning
C# afresh, you could ask them for sites or tutorials.
(hint: sidnl,chiraz...please help this guy)

        We have this IRC channel #dotgnu on irc.openprojects.net, I come
around there between 1700-1800 GMT. You could come there and talk about
your actual skill levels.

> The good part:
> I believe that a free implementation of .NET is important and I want to
> help.  I am willing to do things that most hackers might find boring (e.g.
> documentation), but ofcourse I prefer to program.

        We have lots of programming left to do....and for now documentation
is taking a backseat. (I like that part about Free)

> Can anyone suggest what I can help with?  I'd like to start with something
> that will allow me to learn my way up the project.

        Can I suggest that , you try the runtime stuff and if that doesn't
work out, you could fall back to C#.

        If you want anymore help or advice please contact me.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success