[DotGNU]Re: Contributing

From: Gopal.V
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Contributing
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:57:43 +0530

If memory serves me right, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> The dotGNU website says that what's most needed is C# libraries.
> If it is something that I am capable of, I would like to contribute
> to that.

        It's something a guy with avg OOP ideas can do -- especially if
he knows a bit of Java. The work demands ordinary understanding of
the concept of classes,methods and the general rules of OO programming.
The rest of the stuff is trivialy different from Java -- like using
":" for subclassing , using Properties with get,set instead of the
Javabean's public get_<property> & set_<property> methods.

> How would I go about writing libraries? Are they written in C or C#?

        The libraries are written in C# (for obvious reasons). For some of
the libraries some system calls are needed, which are to be implemented
in C -- but the easy ones are done in that area.

        The libraries are implemented class by class in the pnetlib part
of the project. Each class is specified as per ECMA specifications.
After obtaining the ECMA spec of the class you have chosen, you could
work on its inner works.

the pnetlib/HACKING file contains a lot of info about how to start up
on pnetlib . If you have any doubts mail them to me and I'll clear them
or fwd tough nuts to Rhys or Peter Minten. Also I'll enter them into a
sort of FAQ, I'm preparing.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success