Re: [DotGNU] Introduction

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU] Introduction
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:53:35 +0530

If memory serves me right, Carsten Kuckuk wrote:
> People using WINE could double-click on a .NET executable and use
> Portable.NET to run the code.

Better idea :- Wine uses the Linux kernel's binfmt feature to identify
and run MS PE's ie code that is MZ'd. Why hook through Wine, when we can
hook thru the kernel. Once we have a binfmt_pnet (or whatever), we can just
doubleclick or ./a.out.exe to run them.

        BTW, this binfmt also runs shell scripts off execve , by catching the
"#!" .

        IMHO it will be better to keep our code off C# -- The CSCC is built
as a plugin compiler currently having only a csharp module.

        IIRC, some one was working on javacc -- but I haven't seen any code
on it yet.

> If somebody wrote this second "Code Morpher", there would be a way to move
> between the two worlds on a source code basis which is dearly needed for
> ISVs in order to avoid a lock-in.

        http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/jilc -- may work someday (I work on
it).

BTW, Pnet will acquire JVM bytecode support soon. So a convertor
looses scope here. (With a few mods off GNU Classpath we will have a
java lib also). We hope that this will make it more popular.

Gopz
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success