Re: [DotGNU]Professional online tech support for GNU/Linux?

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Professional online tech support for GNU/Linux?
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 03:45:32 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds good.
Here are my 2 € cents :

I want to take this time to point out that the
trouble tickets and bugs are the most important meta-data about a
software:

We need to track each issue in a repository and use that to cross
reference the source code to the issues, and also the patches to the
ticket.

That metadata will be very valuable for the indexing of the source and
xreffing to the mail and cvs archive.

Nuff Said, here is my reponse back to your questions :

>  * how is price determined?
Via an ebay bidding system, people put what they will pay, and
the developers sell thier time on a market system.

>  * when is an issue "dealt with"?
>  * what happens if a user isn't satisfied?
>  * how do we encourage quality?
LIke in ebay or perlmonks, you get downgraded.

>  * money is sensitive stuff!  What security is necessary?
paypal?

>  * how should it interface with GNU/Linux companies, like Red Hat and
> friends?
it is competition

>  * what's a simple, easy UI?
Something that uses some XMLRPC/SOAP/Jabber/DOTGNU interface into a
central webservice. But remember it has to be compatible with savannah
and should include a client that uses the future to-be-published
php_groupware interface of savannah.

>  * which techie "owns" which issue?  How is locking resolved?
I am looking into the debian-sf source code.
sourceforge has a nice bug tracking system, and we should look to
improve the savannah code to handle this IMHO.
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/