[DotGNU]Protection from legal harassment (was Re: DotGNU and business)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Protection from legal harassment (was Re: DotGNU and business)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:10:35 +0200

Timothy Rue <address@hidden> wrote:

>  NB> Things are not as easy as this.  Prior Art is definately a very
>  NB> good and valuable thing.  However in practice, the existence of
>  NB> prior art does not always prevent patent claims from being
>  NB> accepted.  And if then a company with deep pockets sues you, you
>  NB> may still have a serious problem even when from theory we would
>  NB> say that it should be easy to prove the patent to be invalid.
[..]
> But all this is really a fear tactic of use by those not really
> supporting freedom but rather one body rule methodologies. So instead,
> lets' focus on using the freedoms we have to improve and expand them,
> instead of extending monopolistic (who's got the most money) fear tactics.
>
> OK?

Besides hoping to get protection from an organisation with "one
body rule methodology" (yes, one of the things that
FreeDevelopers had promised was to give us is this protection),
there's another way of protecting yourself:

Look at what Rhys has done.

He has set up a company called "Southern Storm Software, Pty
Ltd" which has a single employee (Rhys).  From a legal
perspective, DotGNU Portable.NET is not produced by Rhys, but
rather by this company.  This makes it much more difficult to
personally harass Rhys through lawsuits of any kind.

Only the truly paranoid would think that this kind of protection
is necessary also for small-time contributors to Free Software
projects.  But if you're planning to do something of true
significance (and from your earlier comments about "network
operating system" stuff I think this may be the case) then I'll
strongly recommend that you should set up such a
"self-incorporation".

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member