Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and business

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and business
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:46:23 +0200

Boris Kolar <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think a good business model is essential to success.

I agree 100%.

> > Here are the three main goals of the DotGNU project:
>
> One of the important goals should be to provide
> interoperability between java and .net.

Yes, that's one of the goals of DotGNU.

> > working on Free Software.  I have plans for starting an
> > organisation which can replace FreeDevelopers in this respect.)
>
> Great! Commercial aspects are cruical to success, as we have
> all seen so many times. I was thinking in this direction:
>
> Let's introduce a new license (with RMS's blessing, I hope),
> that is free and compatible with GPL (I call it CGPL,
> C=Commercial, for now). With addition that users ("members" of
> free software community) would have to contribute at least 1%
> of their income (or  nothing if their income is too low) to

Intoducing any requirement for paying money would make it
incompatible with GPL.

> salaries are not checked, so it's purely a moral obligation

You are of course free to start a membership organisation for
everyone who agrees that there is a moral obligation to donate
1% of one's income to further Free Software development.  This
doesn't even require getting into the huge practical problems
of introducing a software license of the type you propose.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59         Fax +41 1 972 20 69        http://norbert.ch