Re: [DotGNU]Protection from legal harassment (was Re: DotGNU and busines

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Protection from legal harassment (was Re: DotGNU and business)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:51:11 +0200

Timothy Rue <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I was suggesting was a "research project". To collect general
> information in regards to starting up a business (for above mentioned
> reasons) from around the world, given the many differing laws to be found
> in the different countries of which we are fully aware there exist GNU
> developers..

That of course is a good idea, and in fact there has been talk
about such an undertaking already.  I'm not aware of anyone
having actually started such a project (specifically directed
towards the needs of Free Software developers and Free Software
businesses) yet.

> but right now what I'm wondering about is ..... well the status of
> www.dotgnu.org ..... as it seems down (someone didn't pay the annual
> registration fee or probably bounced a check? Is the owner of
> freedevelopers playing legal games???)

Well, the someone who probably didn't pay the annual
registration fee is the owner of FreeDevelopers, but I don't
think he's "playing legal games".  When I emailed him last week
about the need to renew the domain asap, he replied, quickly,
with these words "This is strange since the domains are on
automatic annual renewal, but I will find out what is going on
and get it fixed immediately."  Nothing more has been heard from
him since then.

> Anyway, you mentioned the bizplan mailing list. <shrug> I'm sure it was
> listed on the www.dotgnu.org site but is not listed on the www.gnu.org
> site section for dotgnu

Sorry about the missing link; please refer to
http://dotgnu.info/mailman/listinfo/bizplan

> Any ETA when this www.dotgnu.org mess will get straightened out?

Let's say, give one-two weeks for the DotGNU Steering committee to
reach a decision on what needs to be done, then give me a week to
fully implement it.

> Freedevelopers a false hope, bizplan dropped and now www.dotgnu.org????
>
> Chicken little did say the sky was falling.... :) Maybe there are a few
> priorities of stabilizing what exist first before I continue on with
> business details?

My view is that we simply need to cut out FreeDevelopers
completely... and I expect that this may quite possibly mean
giving up on using dotgnu.org for quite some time.  In this
case the lists will probably be moved to become address@hidden

> BTW, the subscribe url below is a........ well device:Null <shrug>

Fixed, thank you for the bug report.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)