Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and business

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and business
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:12:00 +0200

Matthew Tedder <address@hidden> replied to a posting from me:

> > The _strategy_ of DotGNU is to compete with a certain proprietary
> > software company in a certain area.
>
> A certain area like the groin--when hurt, it immobilizes everything else..
> And when put to proper use, it creates a whole new generation.  I wouldn't
> under estimate this "certain area".

Agreed.

> > But the main thing to understand is what motivates
> > decision-makers everywhere to choose .NET, and how we can
> > motivate them to choose DotGNU instead.
>
> I don't personally see that anything needs to motivate them to
> *choose* .Net since .Net will choose them.  It's a rediculous
> argument as to whether or not .Net will succeed, because
> Microsoft will put it on every desktop and anyone wanting to
> do business with users behind those desktops will have to do
> business with .Net.   It has nothing to do with choices in any
> practical sense.

Well, Microsoft's Hailstorm strategy has failed even in spite of
their effective monopoly on the desktop.

Of course Microsoft has been quick to redefine .NET and also
launch Palladium, a new serious threat to freedom which again
goes into the area of parsonal freedoms, far beyond the issues
of proprietary vs free software.

See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html for details.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)