Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Base Library

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Base Library
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:20:34 +0530

If memory serves me right, Peter Minten wrote:

> Q: What code documentation system is used?
> A: Plain old comments, I believe that comments need to be readable for a
> programmer, not for a machine (so no XML). At some point in time these
> comments will then be turned into documentation manually. But to do this
> it's important to have everything well commented.

Inline documentation makes sense , but not when it is as complicated as
csdoc can get :-( ... Which is why dotgnu.xml is still undocumented ...

> Q: What build system is used?
> A: A little shell magic called compile.sh (basically something like 'find |
> xargs cscc')

I would counter-suggest csant ... (which could easily be run using compile.sh
at a later date ?)

> A: Simplifying complex methods (using String instead for byte[] for I/O),

Great !! ... I just hate networking in C# , coz there is no GetBytes() for
String class ... (which IMNSHO is stupid)

> A: Basic database (IO with data fields of fixed size),

??? Isn't that supposed to be dotgnu.sql (unless I mistake your suggestion)

> data structures like double linked lists and trees,

dotgnu.collections.dll (BioChem333's post) ...

Should in theory be childishly simple .. for the basic lists and trees..

/me thinks about Rhys's Red Black tree implementation and its uses ..

> enhanced command line parsing (GNU style),

dotgnu.getopt.dll (required ...)

> protocol support (NNTP, STMP, POP3).

dotgnu.protocols.NNTP , dotgnu.protocols.SMTP ... Wonderful ...

> Q: Is this the end of the FAQ?
> A: Yes

(Is that a frequently asked question .... LOL)

Gopal