Re: [DotGNU]Forum build questions

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Forum build questions
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:44:42 -0400

Please, all, I beg you: don't put forum executables in a proposed /usr/local/webservices/ directory, as that could become quite crowded and difficult to administrate. Rather: How about using /usr/local/forum-xx.xx/, where xx.xx is your version number? Then use symbolic links to map /usr/local/forum/ to /usr/local/forum-xx.xx, then in /usr/local/bin/webservice do a symbolic link through the/usr/local/forum/ link, to the current version link, and from there to the executable? All of this basically will give the sysadmin the ability to easily install new versions and revert to old versions of forum; if his needs so dictate.

Just my two euros, for what it's worth...

John Le'Brecage

Peter Minten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently setting up the build stuff for Forum and I was wondering: where
should webservice executables be installed to? The old /usr/local/bin would have
the disadvantage of mixing webservices with normal apps. Maybe a
/usr/local/bin/webservices install dir is a better idea.

Another question: is the DotGNU namespace only for libs or also for DotGNU
executables? I ask this because I would like to use the DotGNU.Forum namespace
for Forum.

Greetings,

Peter