Re: [DotGNU]Forum build questions

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Forum build questions
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:22:43 +0200

John wrote:

> Please, all, I beg you: don't put forum executables in a proposed
> /usr/local/webservices/ directory, as that could become quite crowded
> and difficult to administrate. Rather: How about using
> /usr/local/forum-xx.xx/, where xx.xx is your version number? Then use
> symbolic links to map /usr/local/forum/ to /usr/local/forum-xx.xx, then
> in /usr/local/bin/webservice do a symbolic link through
> the/usr/local/forum/ link, to the current version link, and from there
> to the executable? All of this basically will give the sysadmin the
> ability to easily install new versions and revert to old versions of
> forum; if his needs so dictate.

Good idea, I suggest we make this procedure the standard:
1) Install in $(prefix)/programname-major.minor, executable in subdir bin
2) Link that dir to $(prefix)/programname
3) Link executable in $(prefix)/programname/bin to $(prefix)/bin/webservices

For installing under Windows without cygwin (I asume that will happen at some
point in the future) we could use the directory c:\DotGNU as prefix, the
DotGNU\bin dir could hold the non-webservice stuff (VRS, SEE, etc).

> Just my two euros, for what it's worth...

4.40742 Dutch guilders :-)

Greetings,

Peter