Re: [DotGNU]java assembler, alpha version

From: Sylvain Pasche
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]java assembler, alpha version
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 01:53:14 +0200

On Wednesday Oct  2  20:31, Gopal V wrote:
 > If memory serves me right, Sylvain Pasche wrote:
 > I patched in your files and found that it rocked !!! WOW !...
 > It is popular knowledge that I had been evading the jvm assembler
 > work for long ... So accept thanks especially from me ... ;-)

Many thanks, I hope my code won't make you evade again :-)

 > Having fun with the generated .class files ... Figuring how to compile
 > a mini-mscorlib into Java .. The issue seems to be Object ... it generates
 > '0' as the SuperClass index in the constant pool ... Must be easy to override
 > , right ? . And the namespace issue of 'System'.'String' and all that must
 > be solved (I'm sure Rhys will invent something ingenious for that ...)

I've corrected the case of System.Object (but did not update the patch
yet), which herits java/lang/Object. But the verification now fails,
because System.Object does not call it's parent constructor
(java/lang/Object). Sort of chicken and egg problem.

I expect the porting of pnetlib to java a big task (reimplementation
of interal calls, problems with C# specific features not available in
java, ...). But I don't want to be pessimistic :-)