Re: [DotGNU]java assembler, alpha version

From: Glenn Chambers
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]java assembler, alpha version
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:53:14 -0400

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 11:01 AM, Gopal V wrote:

Having fun with the generated .class files ... Figuring how to compile
a mini-mscorlib into Java .. The issue seems to be Object ... it generates '0' as the SuperClass index in the constant pool ... Must be easy to override , right ? . And the namespace issue of 'System'.'String' and all that must
be solved (I'm sure Rhys will invent something ingenious for that ...)

Waiting for Rhys to integrate this officially to start "really" playing
around with this thing. Also solve the issue of how to provide the pnetlib
for Java ....

Late last year, I put out a proposal to (try) to address the Java/C# object question. In fine lurker fashion, I haven't actually *done* anything about
it.

You can read about it here:

http://dotgnu.info/pipermail/developers/2001-December/005575.html

In short, the idea is to create a 'hypocritcal' root class, that pretends to be a Java object when queried via the Java reflection system, and asserts that it is a CLR object when queried via that system. A similar hack is necessary
for the String class, and the Thread classes, and probably a few others.

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH